Getting a National Provider Identifier (NPI)
It’s every provider’s responsibility to make sure that an NPI is obtained if the provider is required to do so. If you’re not sure, it’s time to investigate.
Health care providers can apply for National Provider Identifiers (NPI) in one of three ways:
- For the most efficient application processing and the fastest receipts of NPIs, health care providers should consider using the web-based NPI application process. They can log onto The National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) and apply online.
- Health care providers can agree to have an Electronic File Interchange (EFI) organizational submit application data on their behalf (i.e. through a bulk enumeration process)
- Health care providers may wish to obtain a copy of the paper NPI Application/Update Form (CMS-10144) and mail the completed, signed application to the NPI Enumerator located in Fargo, ND, whereby staff and the NPI Enumerator will enter the application data into NPPES.
The form will be available only upon request through the NPI Enumerator. Health care providers who wish to obtain a copy of this form must contact the NPI Enumerator in any of these ways:
- Phone: 1-800-465-3203 TTY/TTD users call 711
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Mail: NPI Enumerator P.O. Box 6059 Fargo, ND 58108-6059
Source: CMS e-mail 9/13/2006
For more information click here.